The goal of the project to develop transactive energy systems. Transactive energy systems have emerged as a transformative solution for the problems faced by distribution system operators due to an increase in the use of distributed energy resources and rapid growth in renewable energy generation. They are tightly coupled cyber and physical systems, which require resilient and robust financial markets where transactions can be submitted and cleared, while ensuring that erroneous or malicious transactions cannot destabilize the grid. In the last five years, we have used this research vertical to drive our research in the area of resilient decentralized CPS and have developed a novel middleware platform called TRANSAX by enabling participants to trade in an energy futures market, which improves efficiency by finding feasible matches for energy trades, reducing the load on the distribution system operator. It provides privacy to participants by anonymizing their trading activity using a distributed mixing service, while also enforcing constraints that limit trading activity based on safety requirements, such as keeping power flow below line capacity. One of the key innovations in TRANSAX was the development of a novel hybrid solver concept, combining the trustworthiness of distributed ledgers with the efficiency of conventional computational platforms. This hybrid architecture ensures the integrity of data and computational results as long as majority of the ledger nodes are secure while allowing the complex computation to be performed by a set of redundant and efficient solvers. We collaborate actively with Prof. Aron Lazka, University of Houston in this project.
- S. Eisele, T. Eghtesad, K. Campanelli, P. Agrawal, A. Laszka, and A. Dubey, Safe and Private Forward-Trading Platform for Transactive Microgrids, Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, 2020.
- S. Eisele et al., Blockchains for Transactive Energy Systems: Opportunities, Challenges, and Approaches, IEEE Computer, 2020.
- C. Barreto, T. Eghtesad, S. Eisele, A. Laszka, A. Dubey, and X. Koutsoukos, Cyber-Attacks and Mitigation in Blockchain Based Transactive Energy Systems, in 3rd IEEE International Conference on IndustrialCyber-Physical Systems (ICPS 2020), 2020.
- A. Laszka, A. Mavridou, S. Eisele, E. Statchtiari, and A. Dubey, VeriSolid for TRANSAX: Correct-by-Design Ethereum Smart Contracts for Energy Trading, in First International Summer School on Security and Privacy for Blockchains and Distributed Ledger Technologies, BDLT 2019, Vienna, Austria, 2019.
- M. A. Walker, D. C. Schmidt, and A. Dubey, Chapter Six - Testing at scale of IoT blockchain applications, in Advances in Computers, vol. 115, Oreilly, 2019, pp. 155–179.
- Y. Zhang, S. Eisele, A. Dubey, A. Laszka, and A. K. Srivastava, Cyber-Physical Simulation Platform for Security Assessment of Transactive Energy Systems, in 7th Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber-Physical Energy Systems, MSCPES@CPSIoTWeek 2019, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2019, pp. 1–6.
- S. Eisele, P. Ghosh, K. Campanelli, A. Dubey, and G. Karsai, Demo: Transactive Energy Application with RIAPS, in IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Real-Time Distributed Computing, ISORC 2019, Valencia, Spain, May 7-9, 2019, 2019, pp. 85–86.
- A. Laszka, S. Eisele, A. Dubey, G. Karsai, and K. Kvaternik, TRANSAX: A Blockchain-Based Decentralized Forward-Trading Energy Exchanged for Transactive Microgrids, in 24th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, ICPADS 2018, Singapore, December 11-13, 2018, 2018, pp. 918–927.
- S. Eisele, A. Laszka, A. Mavridou, and A. Dubey, SolidWorx: A Resilient and Trustworthy Transactive Platform for Smart and Connected Communities, in IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things and Blockchains, 2018, pp. 1263–1272.
- S. Eisele, A. Dubey, G. Karsai, and S. Lukic, Transactive energy demo with RIAPS platform, in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems, ICCPS 2017, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, April 18-20, 2017, 2017, p. 91.
- A. Laszka, A. Dubey, M. Walker, and D. C. Schmidt, Providing privacy, safety, and security in IoT-based transactive energy systems using distributed ledgers, in Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Internet of Things, IOT 2017, Linz, Austria, October 22-25, 2017, 2017, pp. 13:1–13:8.
- S. Eisele, I. Madari, A. Dubey, and G. Karsai, RIAPS: Resilient Information Architecture Platform for Decentralized Smart Systems, in 20th IEEE International Symposium on Real-Time Distributed Computing, ISORC 2017, Toronto, ON, Canada, May 16-18, 2017, 2017, pp. 125–132.
- J. Bergquist, A. Laszka, M. Sturm, and A. Dubey, On the design of communication and transaction anonymity in blockchain-based transactive microgrids, in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Scalable and Resilient Infrastructures for Distributed Ledgers, SERIAL@Middleware 2017, Las Vegas, NV, USA, December 11-15, 2017, 2017, pp. 3:1–3:6.